Have you bought XiaoMi Wi-Fi extender, and are looking to set it up, then you can go through the instructions that you are about to see in the next section. Setting up XiaoMi Wi-Fi extender is quite easy, but if you are not being able to do so, then there is no harm in taking help of experts.
Before you begin with the setup process, you have to check security settings on the Wi-Fi router. XiaoMi Wi-Fi extender is only going to work on networks that use only WPA2 security. If the device is not set to use WPA/WPA2 security, then you will have to change that. This extender is not going to work on 2.4 GHz networks.
- Plug Wi-Fi extender into the USB power source, but make sure it is close to the Wi-Fi router. The power source could be any USB port on your router or PC, or if you want, you can connect to a USB wall charger. Make sure that the USB power source is in the same location where you wish to place your Wi-Fi extender after it is set up.
- Now, you need to download ‘MiHome’ app from Play Store or Apple App Store and install it on your device.
- Choose your ‘Country’. If you can choose ‘China’ as your country, then the device is going to work a lot better.
- Go to ‘Sign in’ page on the app. If you haven’t created an account, then you will have to click ‘sign up’.
- While creating an account, you can use the country you live in as well.
- The app is going to detect your Mi WiFi Repeater in a few minutes time. Click on your device and then, you can choose the SSID of the network you wish to extend followed by entering the password.
- The app will then configure your Wi-Fi extender, and you will see the LED light on the Wi-Fi extender changing from orange to blue.
- If the configuration process doesn’t work, then you will have to take a look at the security settings on the router.
- Unplug the Wi-Fi extender and place it at its final location, if the current location is a bit awkward to place the Wi-Fi extender.
- Now, set the same SSID (network name) of the extended network as that of the parent network.
If the app doesn’t detect your Wi-Fi extender, you will have to set it up manually.
- Click on ‘+’ button, which you can find in the top right corner of the ‘My Devices’ screen in the app. Then, you will have to click ‘Add Device’.
- Click ‘Add Manually’.
- Click on ‘Wi-Fi extender’, which you can see by scrolling down the list.
- Reset your Wi-Fi extender by holding down the reset button down with a sharp, pointed object.
- Once you find that the app has detected your Wi-Fi extender, you can select SSID of the network that you want to extend followed by entering the password.
- Now, you will find the app completing setting up of the extender.
If you want to change the settings of the Wi-Fi extender, then you can click on the device in order to access the ‘settings page. This was all about setting up XiaoMi Wi-Fi extender, so if you come across any issue, then you can log onto mywifiextnet.xyz.