There are number of reasons that can cause instability in the connection between your device and range extender. Today, in this guide we are going to let you know the reasons for the problem along with their possible solutions. You must read steps carefully and patiently.
Quick tips: If you are getting a problem in setting up the wireless range extender on your router, then you can visit the official setup page of your range extender. You can also enter a direct address of your wireless range extender in the URL space. From here, you will be directed to setup page directly.
Now, we are going to shed light on common causes of intermittent connection to your wireless range extender.
- Incorrect wireless settings: Any incorrect settings configured on the extender may create the problem. The range extender settings and router settings must match with each other so as to connect the device to the network. If you want to check the settings of your range extender, then you can go to the settings page of your range extender manufacturer website.
- Distance issue: We all know that our range extender works on radio technology. The radius or the distance covered by radio devices is limited. If you have placed your range extender far away from the router, then you may get a problem in getting the signal strength on it. As the distance increases the connectivity decreases. So, it is recommended to keep the extender at that place where it can catch and transmit the signal easily without any hindrance in-between.
- Traffic on connected devices: As all the devices within the range are using the same network, so this affects the bandwidth of your range extender. If one of the devices connected to the extender is generating more traffic than other, then other devices will have to compromise for the same. In such cases, you can either move the device closer to the extender or disconnect all the devices and connect single device at a time. This will improve the connectivity of your extender. If possible connect the device to the range extender via Ethernet cable.
- Wireless interference: Another cause of the problem is wireless interference from nearby devices. It includes Microwave oven, TV, cordless phones, neighbor wireless devices, Bluetooth devices and baby monitors. All these devices emit electromagnetic radiations which are highly absorbed by wireless networks due to their high susceptibility. To get rid of this problem, keep your range extender at least 10 feet away from such devices so that signal doesn’t get reflected by obstruction.
Another solution to solve the problem is, change the SSID of your router and change the channel as well. The most preferred channels are 1, 6, 9 and 11. These channels are less susceptible to external interference. If you don’t know how to change the channel or SSID of your router, you can contact your router manufacturer.
5. Obsolete firmware version: Firmware version of wireless range extender plays an important role in the signal strength of extender. If the version is old or outdated, then we recommend you to update it at the earliest. This will fix the connection problem.