Do you wish to change the password of your Netgear Router? If yes, read this journal. If you think your router password is compromised or simply want to change it because you feel like changing it, then follow the simple tricks mentioned below. You can apply any of the methods out of the three methods discussed here. In case you have forgotten the Router password, then also you can use the same methods to reset or recover it.
1st Method: Reset password on Netgear genie Routers
- First, the open browser on your computer or laptop.
- Now, enter URL routerlogin.net in the address space given on the page. You can directly enter the IP address, i.e., 192.168.1.1. In case you have changed the default IP address of your router, you need to log in with the new address.
- Enter the current username and password for your router. The default username and password are admin and password. A user-interface screen will be opened on the screen.
- Go to ‘Advanced’ settings from the ‘Setup’ menu.
- Tap ‘Wireless setup’.
- Click to delete the current password given next to the ‘Passphrase’ in the security options.
- Enter a new password of your choice and click to apply it.
- If you router support Dual band frequency, then you are required to change the password individually for both the frequencies.
- Close the Router interface window. If you want to connect any device to the router now, click to enter the new password.
2nd Method: Resetting password on older models
- For this, you again need to open the browser on your computer.
- Enter the URL in the address space. The URL for earlier models is also the same as that of new models. www.routerlogin.net. You can enter 192.168.0.1 in the address field to directly open the settings or interface screen of your router. As mentioned in the previous method, if you have modified the URL, then enter the new URL in the field.
- Enter the current username and password in the next window. By default, the username and password are ‘Admin’ and ‘password’
- Go to ‘Wireless settings’ of your router and click on ‘Security options’.
- Here you need to enter the new password for your router. Click to apply the changes. Now log out of the screen and try connecting the devices to the router with the new password.
3rd Method: Restoring the Router to the default factory settings
- To reset the router to the factory settings, check the Reset button given on the router. Once located, press this button. In case you don’t find this button, it means it is recessed into the device.
- Press and hold the reset button for at least 5 seconds. If the button is engrossed inside the hardware, then you can make use of pen nib or some sharp tip like paperclip or pin.
- You will find the test light or power light begins to blink. This may take 20 seconds.
- Wait until the router is fully rebooted.
- Log in to the Router login with the default password of Netgear products. It is ‘Password’ by default.
- Now you can change the password through the above-mentioned two ways.
If you find the above steps don’t work for you, you can unplug the router and hold the Reset button again. Connect the router again into the power supply and continue pressing the reset button. This will take you to the password reset page.